Fr. Gerard (Jerry) A. Petta, MSA
Memorial Undergraduate Scholarship
Fr. Jerry often received God’s gifts of grace within his ministry. His advice to those who are listening: “Don’t be afraid. Instead, ask “What are you trying to teach me Lord. Allow the Lord to teach you.” He said that there are “so many gifts that God himself desires to share with you as you travel on your journey to Him.” Fr. Jerry emphasized that “God’s gifts will help you to understand that life is more than the obvious,” stating that “these gifts of grace will help each of us to recognize peace, self-giving, mercy, forgiveness, etc, when He is placed in front of us.” [Read Fr. Jerry’s Bio]
The Father Gerard (Jerry) A. Petta, MSA Memorial Undergraduate Scholarship offers an annual $1,500.00 college scholarship to Catholic age students. Preference given to those serving or have served in the U.S. military (Active or Reserves), are currently enrolled in ROTC at their campus or JROTC at their high school.
In order to qualify, applicants must:
- Be a practicing Catholic at a Parish of the Archdiocese of Washington that is located within Montgomery County, Maryland.
- Be actively participating in one or more of your parish’s ministries or parish recognized religious organizations during the last 6 months.
- Be accepted to or attending an accredited college or educational institution of higher learning as a part- or full-time undergraduate student and maintain a GPA of at least 3.2.
- Provide an essay – 250 to 400 words maximum – describing or responding to six general Scholarship application statements or questions.
- Provide a statement – 100 to 250 words – on how God’s gifts are or have helped you “to understand that life is more than the obvious”.
Selection is based on need, scholastic ability, Catholic virtue, and scholarship criteria.